A guide to carbon monoxide...

Carbon monoxide detector placement

Carbon monoxide is a leading cause of poisoning deaths and poisoning related injury. Proper carbon monoxide detector placement is critical to the reliable functioning of the detector.

"Do's" for carbon monoxide detector placement:

  • Place detectors in or near sleeping areas - where the sound of an alarm will easily wake people up

  • Place detectors on each level of a residence

  • Place detectors as per manufacturer instructions

  • Carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air and over time distributes throughout a room, so a detector can be placed at any height in any acceptable location - preferably at eye level and definitely where the alarm can be easily heard

  • For added protection, place a carbon monoxide detector 10 to 15 feet (3 to 5 meters) from the furnace as well as other fuel burning sources

"Do nots" for carbon monoxide detector placement:

To avoid damage to the detector and to reduce false alarms, do not place carbon monoxide detectors:

  • in unheated basements, attics or garages

  • in areas of high humidity (bathrooms, showers, laundry areas)

  • where they will be exposed to chemical solvents or cleaners, including hair spray, deodorant sprays, etc.

  • near vents, flues or chimneys

  • within 6 ft (2 meters) of heating and cooking appliances (which can give off a small volume of carbon monoxide when starting up which can trigger false alarms)

  • near forced or unforced air ventilation openings

  • within 6 ft (2 meters) of corners or areas where natural air circulation is low

  • where they can be bumped and damaged

  • where directly exposed to weather

FacebookTwitterDiggDeliciousRedditStumbleuponYahoo My WebGoogle Bookmarks
Questions? Want to share your opinion? Do it here...
Just lost my best mate.....
I. Mohamed from U.k.
My best mate and his new bride of 1 day,,, were found dead on the morning after there first wedding night together. The boiler was faulty and leaked carbon monoxide into the water system, both were found dead in the shower while on honeymoon in morocco. 29-01-2013.

PLEASE buy a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Martyn
The story line in Coronation Street this week highlights the dangers of Carbon Monoxide - also highlighted by this tragic story. PLEASE put a Carbon Monoxide Detector in your home http://detectorcarbonmonoxide.co.uk

Questions? Want to share your opinion? Do it here...
FacebookTwitterDiggDeliciousRedditStumbleuponYahoo My WebGoogle Bookmarks

 

Return to Carbon monoxide detectors or top of Carbon monoxide detector placement




Exposed recently?
Learn more

Join the
recovery support
program

Easy ways you can
make a difference

Audio interviews
with experts

BSF: a natural
option?

Revealing the
invisible iceberg?

CO linked to
common disorders

Carbon Monoxide
Survivor