Carbon monoxide headache
A tell tale sign of poisoning is a carbon monoxide headache. It is often described as a
distinct kind of frontal headache. This is common while a person is breathing carbon monoxide and while elevated
carbon monoxide levels are in their system.
However, in the weeks and months (in some cases longer) following poisoning some survivors will experience a
different kind of "carbon monoxide headache".
Some will find themselves having constant low level pressure headaches that just wont seem to go away. Others
may have a series of headaches that seem to rise and fall without explanation. The percentage of survivors that
experience this type of "carbon monoxide headache" is not known.
Each and every day the body makes billions of new cells as older cells die off. This is normal. However, in
months following poisoning there may be a larger than normal cellular die off caused by carbon monoxide damage.
A large cellular die off places a heavy strain on the organs in the body responsible for elimination (liver,
kidneys, colon). The extra work load comes at a time when the organs themselves may have been weakened by
In the months following poisoning this can trigger a "carbon monoxide headache" due to increased toxicity levels
in the body/bloodstream.
A survivor may also find they are more sensitive to stimulus including light, noise,
chemicals, foods, motion, and possibly even electromagnetic fields and electrostatic influences (such as car
The body must regulate itself to maintain balance in its many systems. This is called homeostasis. Sensitivities
can be a sign that the cells and systems in the body/brain are having difficulty functioning normally.
If the body has difficulty regulating itself and staying in "balance" then all kinds of symptoms can appear
including headaches due to:
Headaches can also be related to brain
Return to Carbon monoxide poisoning short to mid
term effects or top of Carbon monoxide headache